Below is the video of the discussion at the debate marking the launch of the project at LSE.
These are the ten propositions which I have set out as my manifesto for the project.
- Human rights are social democratic politics for our post-political age
- Human rights need to be true even if we have to make them so
- Realising human rights must always be emancipatory and securing them might sometimes be revolutionary
- Labour rights are essential to human rights
- The great religions are more friend than foe to human rights
- In taming counter-terrorism law human rights has the chance to renew its soul
- Rights are for more than humans
- The powerful should be made to need human rights but they should never like them
- Human rights are for people not peoples
- Lawyers are wonderful for human rights – but as supporting actors, not the main act